Monday, May 27, 2013

I've Been Framed!!!

The newest trend in the trash-to-treasure world seems to be oversized vintage, reclaimed, or even new ornate frames painted in colorful hues. The only catch to these gems is that now they are going for about $25 - $50 without the glass or backing. For this reason, I generally pass them up when I'm in a antique store and head to my local Goodwill or thrift shop. Garage sells are great places to spot them too!

I happened by this frame on an impulse stop on a lazy Saturday. The thrift store I found this fram in just happens to be less than a mile from my apartment! I purchased this vintage four layered bead board   frame for $15, giving me room to buy supplies for upcycling. The frame was heavily painted with a beige color and just looked too perfect. I felt I needed to rough it up a bit!!

 Materials:
sand paper
painters tape
sponge brush
cloth sponge
antiquing glaze  
1. Sand the bead board sections and the edges of the ornamentation of the other frame sections, bringing out the detailing.
2. Tape off the ornamentation.
 3. Dampen the sponge brush. This will help thin out the glaze as you apply it to the bead board 1 side at a time. (This allows you to wipe off excess before it drys.)
 4. Grab the cloth sponge and wipe off antique glaze leaving some in the groves, enhancing the detail. (This makes the designs pop even from afar!)
5. Remove the tape and you are finished.


Time for this project was about 30 minutes. I love the roughed up look and "imperfections" that were brought out by the sanding and antiquing glaze. Under the beige paint, there was a white plaster, which I didn't like the look of as I was sanding.(Fresh white is so not in! Well at least not in my magzine!) The glaze made it look like old wood and I was sold!!! You can see it in the top left corner. The frame also ended up having a great contrast between the layers.
For now, this project is labeled "to be continued." I'm not sure exactly what it's purpose will be: a picture frame, shadow box, bulletin board, chalkboard, cuckoo clock display, or home to another vintage find. So, stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment